Zero Emission Fast Foil Ferry
Foil Ferry JIP
A zero-emission, clean transit concept for a high-speed hydrofoil craft using lightweight carbon fiber hull construction. Vision is to help relaunch the “Mosquito” fleet & reduce vehicle traffic. A collaborative approach is needed to address challenges & opportunities. The foil ferry can offer a safe, reliable & cost-effective option, while minimizing the environmental impact on air & water quality as well as marine life. Washington companies to develop state of the art technology & competence to support our region as a center of excellence for maritime decarbonization.
- Advance design spiral from concept to preliminary design, to contract design for construction
- Economic & environmental benefits & impacts
- Terminal & shoreside infrastructure requirements
- Materials & construction
- Routing analysis & operations
- Advance detection & avoidance strategies
- Regulatory, testing & permitting
- Hybrid funding model for first demonstration
More efficient vessel, reduced emissions, improved commuter & transit options, quieting & strike avoidance to reduce marine mammal impacts, platform for WA manufacturing, innovation & economic development.
March 2021 – December 2022